The Avengers that could have been.
- John Krasinski, Jensen Ackles, Garrett Hedlund, Chace Crawford, and Michael Cassidy were all in the running to play Steve Rogers before the role was offered to Chris Evans. Evans was hesitant to play another superhero after having played Johnny Storm in Fantastic Four.
- Alexander Skargard was the heavy favorite to play the God of Thunder. Other contenders included Channing Tatum, Liam Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, and Charlie Hunnam before Chris Hemsworth was selected.
- Tom Cruise had long-gestating plans to play Tony Stark in an adaptation of Iron Man back in the early 2000s. Other actors who had been linked include Nicolas Cage, Leonardo Dicaprio, Clive Owen, and Sam Rockwell. Robert Downey Jr. was asked to screentest, fought hard for, and ultimately won the role.
- Joaquin Phoenix was once rumored to have signed on to play Bruce Banner. Other actors who were considered include Adrien Brody, Nathan Fillion, and supposedly, David Tennant. Mark Ruffalo was offered the part and eventually accepted after talking to Robert Downey Jr. and Edward Norton.
- Emily Blunt was cast to play Black Widow in Iron Man 2 but her contractual obligations to film Gulliver’s Travels (starring Jack Black) forced her to quit.
- Josh Hartnett was thought to be close to signing to play Loki, after also having auditioned to play Thor for Kenneth Branagh.
"If there is anything I can do to make it more pleasant, please let me know."
If you say so Olivia Dunham..